- Training Programs
- our sites
- our work
- ways to give
- contact us
Attention 2017 Applicants: Global Citizenship Scholarship - Apply Now!
Since 1995, FSD has trained and supported students as they collaborate on significant community projects with our local community-based partner organizations in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We believe that with the right support and guidance, everyone has the potential to make a difference around the world and in their communities. We are pleased to offer the Global Citizenship Scholarship for those applying to our Winter, Spring, and Fall programs in 2017 (summer applicants for programs of 12 or more weeks may also apply).
The scholarship award covers up to $1200 of the program fee of eligible applicants for FSD's International Internship in Africa, Asia, or Latin America.
Applications open: NOW
Deadline to apply: Applications are accepted and awarded on a rolling basis. Please submit your essay no later than 60 days prior to your start date. Scholarship awards are competitive and limited. Therefore, we strongly encourage applicants to apply as early as possible in order to have the best chances for being awarded.
- Applicants for a Winter, Spring, or Fall 2017 internship of 9 or more weeks
- Applicants for a Summer 2017 internship of 20 or more weeks
- Demonstrated commitment to global citizenship and community-based development
- Evidence of maturity, professionalism, and flexibility to adapt to and learn from a new culture while striving to make a positive impact in the community.
Complete an Intern Abroad Application. Within the application, fill out the field marked “For Global Citizenship Scholarship Applicants Only.” There, you'll include a supplemental scholarship essay of approximately 200-500 words addressing the topic below. If you already submitted an application, please send your essay via PDF or Word to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Global Citizenship Application" in the subject line.
Essay Topic: Global Citizenship. What does "global citizenship" means to you? Describe your personal experience with global citizenship, why this internship experience will make you a better global citizen, and your need for this scholarship.
About the Intern Abroad Program
FSD Intern Abroad offers students intensive training and comprehensive experience working with an FSD Community Partner on local development projects, including public health. It is an opportunity to gain project management, grantwriting, and cultural integration skills. Students are placed with one of our 300 Community Partners in Asia, Africa or Latin America. The program commonly acts as a catalyst for building a career in development and cultivating relationships with international communities and organizations.
Intern Abroad Program Features:
- 9 to 52 weeks in the field
- 40-hour work week schedule
- Individual placement with a host organization and a host family
- Comprehensive development training throughout the program
- Critical analysis and asset mapping done by student to define project work plan
- Collaborative project development between host organization and student, with support by the FSD Site Team
- $300 seed grant for project initiation (Programs 13 weeks or longer receive additional seed funding.)
- Eligibility for up to $800 in additional project funding through FSD
Alumni of FSD internships have won Rhodes, Fulbright, and other merit-based scholarships; gained employment with international development organizations; and started their own development organizations. Read about FSD intern alumni experiences here.