- Training Programs
- our sites
- our work
- ways to give
- contact us
The Fundación David Mather aims to promote equal education opportunities for low income youth through programs that foster their continuation onto higher education and support them until they receive their title, or orient them towards alternative labor options, with the goal of improving their future quality of life.
The foundation works on an individual bases with underprivileged students who demonstrate a high academic potential, providing educational and psychological support and training to prepare them for opportunities in higher education. They provide academic and technological training, advise in career planning, and the headquarters is a library and quite study space. Currently the foundation is financially supported by donations from England, Salta and a small shop run by the students to encourage financial education.
· Education and Youth Development: social, moral and cognitive development; vocational and life skills training; social leadership
· Minimum 3 month commitment
· Advanced communication skills in Spanish and English
· A positive approach to and respect for young people; a good role model.
· Interest in alternative education; students living in high risk situations
· Possess a proactive and collaborative attitude, working independently or in a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to work to deadlines
Program Supervisor (All Programs)
Raul Pereyra Casanova is the director of the Fundación David Mather, and has been working with them since their founding in Salta over two years ago.
Fundación David Mather has a small space in down town Salta, which doubles as classroom space for their educational/training programs and an office/study space for the students in the program and the few fulltime workers and interns. Most time will be spent in these central headquarters, but trips to partner schools and government agencies are frequent.
Fundación David Mather was begin in 2009 after the tragic death of David Mather in a paragliding incident in Salta. Upon his death the family begin a foundation in his name to address the problem of access to higher education in impoverished regions of Salta, which had so much interested David.
Since its beginnings the program has focused on providing encouragement, training, psychological preparation and economic assistance to high school students with high academic potential. Initially the students were chosen, with assistance from teachers and headmasters, from two schools in marginalized neighbourhoods of Salta, while this year it expanded to accept students from five different institutions.
About Fundación David Mather’s Clients
The foundation has worked individually with over 50 high school students, including the 30 who will participate in the program this year, from low income neighbourhoods around Salta, who would not otherwise have the financial/social means to access high education. The foundation is also open to all alumnae of the program as a quite study/meeting space.
1. To work directly with the teachers to design and carry out an educational support program and educational workshops for the students who attend the foundation.
2. Design alternative educational opportunities, including excursions, workshops, and skills training.
3. To identify promotional opportunities/activities for the Fundacion.
4. To present such promotional opportunities to the team for discussion and implementation.