- Training Programs
- our sites
- our work
- ways to give
- contact us
Throughout Kenya's history, women have been subjugated to consistent rights abuses while shouldering an overwhelming amount of responsibilities.
A prominent example of this relates to agriculture, which creates over 80 percent of Kenya's jobs and 60 percent of income.
Currently, women in Kenya do the vast majority of agricultural work and produce/market the majority of food. Yet they earn only a fraction of the income generated and own a nominal percentage of assets. Only 29 percent of those earning a formal wage throughout the country are women, leaving a huge percentage of women to work in the informal sector without any federal support. The effect is severe with nearly 40 percent of households run solely by women, and, because of a lack of fair income, nearly all these homes suffer from poverty or extreme poverty.
To read more about Gender Equity issues in Kenya, click here.
FSD combines the efforts of interns, volunteers, and donors with women's empowerment organizations in Mombasa and Kakamega to:
- Offer vocational trainings, hold group therapy sessions, and cultivate various self-help groups that support the emotional and economic stability of households run by children, widows, and single parents.
- Educate young women on their rights, HIV/AIDS, and reproductive health concerns through direct school visits and participatory educational theater.
- Aid the development of microenterprises by offering basic business skills workshops and helping to cultivate lending and savings programs for potential borrowers.
- Train female students to be peer educators at their schools and within their communities to disseminate information about rights, reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, and other social/health issues.
- Provide counseling, nursing, and activities (such as craft and artmaking) at a hospice for elderly and infirmed nuns who have dedicated their lives to serving the local community and have few resources or family to support themselves.
Read more about Gender Equity programs and opportunities initiated by our Community Partners in Kenya.
For a description of the opportunities available in each development subject addressed by FSD in Kenya, click on the links below:
Click here to return back to the Kenya home page.